Recycling right doesn’t just protect our environment, it protects our drivers. When improperly thrown in a trash or recycling cart, used charcoal, fireworks and even rags with old chemicals can start a vehicle fire. This places drivers, landfill employees and first responders in danger.
Charcoal may burn for up to 48 hours, so remember to douse it in water. Dispose of your household hazardous waste at one of the county’s recycling centers.
If you have unused fireworks, remove the wicks and soak them in water for at least 24 hours. You can also donate them to the local fireworks display.