A growing number of people are opting to rent for cost-effectiveness and lack of maintenance.
Kelli Welch, Realtor with Century 21, suggests these tips when looking for a new place:
– Ask the neighbors if they feel safe.
– Check the water pressure and bring a phone charger to see if electrical outlets work.
– Find out if you can paint walls and hang photos.
– Pay close attention to the lease agreement to understand rent increases.
– Negotiate the price, especially if you’re willing to sign a longer lease.
– Request to see prior electric bills, either from the owner or the electric company.