Before popping open the bubbly to bid the year adieu, tackle a few important opportunities to help with next year’s tax bill:
• Bang for your buck: Maximize your 401(k) contributions, make after-tax contributions to a Roth 401(k), or convert a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA.
• Required RMDs: If over age 72, minimum distributions must be taken from tax-deferred retirement accounts by year-end, including retirement accounts inherited by someone who was over age 72.
• Harvest losses: If the volatile 2022 market left you with losses, consider using those to offset realized capital gains.
• Giving: Maximize charitable donations, whether cash or investments.
– Laura Cubbage, 360 Media, Inc., The Atlanta 100