While we are rebuilding and recovering in the aftermath of Hurricane Ian, several unscrupulous individuals and groups are offering fraudulent repairs, grants or charities. Here are some reminders to help avoid these scams:
• Do not withhold any financial information, insurance policy details and the like.
• Never sign any contract and pay any fees, repayment, or large deposits without verifying.
• Always verify legitimacy with the appropriate agency, and for insurance-related claims, with your agent.
• Only engage with legitimate charities and licensed contractors with solid reputations.
– Crystal Kinzel, Collier County Clerk of the Courts & Comptroller