During waterbird nesting season, birds nest on beaches where their eggs and chicks are camouflaged on the sand. You can help keep them safe by:
1. Staying 300 feet from a nest and avoid walking through flocks of birds.
2. Avoiding areas marked for nesting birds. Use designated walkways when possible.
3. Don’t litter or feed wildlife. Food scraps attract predators. Litter entangles birds and other wildlife.
4. On pet-friendly beaches follow the rules, keep your pet leashed and avoid seabird nesting areas.
5. If you hook a bird while fishing, don’t cut the line: reel, remove, release. Learn how to safely unhook a bird.
– Katie Betz, C2 Communications