These days, we are inundated and influenced by the messages on TV, music, social media, news outlets, advertisements or other forms of information exchange. While we can’t always be sure the information is factual, we can control our emotions and behavior. To ensure healthy habits when using any form of media, consider these tips:
- Balance exposure by limiting the negative and increasing the feel-good messages.
- Think critically and remember the motive behind the messages you are receiving.
- Consider reality and remember photo filters and million-dollar ad budgets make everyone look unrealistically perfect.
- Be respectful of differing opinions.
– Scott Burgess, David Lawrence Centers for Behavioral Health