Yes, it is pumpkin-spice-everything season. But did you know eating real pumpkin (not your favorite pumpkin-flavored coffee drink) has health benefits? Here are five reasons to eat this orange, autumn treat:
1. Pumpkin is full of heart-healthy vitamins, including magnesium, iron and more potassium than bananas.
2. Fiber. We all need it, and pumpkin is a great source.
3. Pumpkin’s festive orange color comes from beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A in your body and helps your eyesight.
4. Canned is ok. Canned pumpkin is still packed with benefits.
5. Pumpkin is low on fat while being full of nutrients, an excellent low-calorie choice.
– Paul J. Thein, ED.S., Core Health Partners